Don't tell anybody, but this app is a generalization of the Alien Language App that was coded in PHP.
This encryption scheme, this algorithm, is reversible, unlike some of our other obfuscation string manipulation apps.
Here's how it works:
- Obtain an integer (whole number, the 'shift') and a 'story' from the user
- Iterate through the story and identify alphabet symbols. Others will be untouched.
- Alphabet letters are categorized as vowel (aeiou) or consonant (bcdfghjklmnpqrstvwxyz).
- Whether vowel or consonant: each original letter is 'shifted' to the next letter that is 'shift' units to the right of the original. Using the magic of the 'modulus operator' (%), a 'wrap-around' feature protects against situations where the end of the vowel or consonant string is reached.
- For example: 'encryption' ⇛ 'urgvcsxaer' with a shift of 3
- Try these shifts for interesting results: 0, 5, 21 and 105
- 'Casing' is preserved during the encryption process
- The encryption is reversed by applying the opposite of the shift to the encryption. Here's where using a function is so handy!
The goof-ball default quote? It's from a song...listen to it here.
Last update: 09/28/19